Wednesday, November 25, 2009

She's Humping... And She's NOT a Camel

There is nothing in the world wrong with two dogs humping. There is something profoundly wrong with my 5 lbs dogs humping my ankle!

Many people are shocked that female dogs will hump as much (and sometimes more) as male dogs. Buffy the Rottweiler would hump the be-jesus out of Buster the Rottweiler despite a good 25 lbs difference. Her method (she would first sit on his head then hump down the entire length of his back) was fairly humiliating for a number of human male observers who would encourage Buster to "man up" and hump her back. He never once did. Buster was content to be an "indian" to Buffy's "chief." No matter where Buffy went she carried herself with a sort of haughty-ness and confindence rarely seen. Certainly, she was one of the brightest -if not THE brightest- dog I have ever owned or trained and thus well suited to lead. A dog has few politics and Alpha Dog ascentions are not popularity contests and there is no campaigning for the position. A dog TAKES the lead; he or she does not ask for it. And there is little chauvanism in the domesticated dog world: a female can and will lead a pack.

Industry, will and brains gets a dog to the top of the pack. Sometimes such subjugation takes the form of humping from either male or female. Humping or mounting behavior is not a sexual drive or a perverted practice: mounting is all about dominance. While size does matter in the dog-dom, problem solving can take a small dog a long way. The smarter dog, while disproportionate in size, can rise to the top of the pack when consistantly clever and watchful. Even if she is a female. This brings me back to my darling Daisy.

From my previous post you will all note that Daisy was falling in to place in our house and getting a bit more comfortable and rambunctious so I have stepped up her training to include a formal, submissive Heel command. Within days she began to mount Angus when he was on the floor. As the smallest member of our pack and another "puppy," he naturally would be the first target in Daisy's ascention attempt. In addtion, this was a test of the exisiting leadship heirarchy. She wanted to see what we (Alan and I as implicit leaders) would do. Of course, this behavior was corrected and redirected, but her method transmongrified: she now latches on to my leg when I am walking away and gives me a few subtle pumps. Essentially, Daisy is trying to catch me, Leader Extrodinaire, with my guard down. This Back Door behavior would be considered gross bad form among us humans. Recall the wild west where one should never shoot a man in the back. But dogs just don't work that way no matter how much we domesticate or fancify them. Somewhere at the core of my 5 lb-er there is a wolf lurking and plotting to take this pack for her own. She is testing the chinks in my armour.

As hilarious as it is to have her barely discernable weight mounting me, the intent is still the same. She is aserting dominance and must be gently lead back to her pack position. Ambition is rare in the incapable dog; most will comply to the ascribed pack position and be quite content, as Buster the Rottweiler was. Daisy, however, seems to think that there is a better spot for her in this pack, that there is a rank that she is better suited for. Truth is a dog is a dog is a dog. How many times I went to a client's house and found the dog running the entire household, I can't say. Some people cater to the dog and then wonder why they bark, jump up and nip at guests. I simply refuse to have a dog run my house. Besides, Pepper the Cat has assumed that role and I don't think she'll give it up easily! Just kidding, of course!

As a final note on this reactionary dominance from Daisy I must say that I give her a lot of credit. Being a pack leader, an Alpha Dog, requires a great deal of responsibility. An Alpha must be sure to keep order during meal time, during travel, during rest. It is, no doubt, an exhausting endevour to keep your ducks in a row at all times. I presume this is more evidence that she is as extra-bright as I suspect.

The good news is that she will comprehend well. The bad news is the smarter the dog, the more creative and crafty she will be when getting into trouble! Note: Buffy the Rottweiler taught herself to open round door knobs when she was 5 months old and progressed to kicking the door closed behind her. I can't wait to see what Daisy does next. As long as she minds her alotted station in MY pack!

Good day and good training to you all! And Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment