Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dogs and cats... living together! Mass hysteria! (Not so much)


Alan thought that a house dog was a bad idea as we have Pepper. Pepper is a cat. A not very nice cat. She barely tolerates my presence in the house and I often refer to her as Al's first wife. She is not cuddly with anyone but Al and often she gets "pissy" with him. She will swat at you as you walk by. She has scratched and hissed at both of my children on numerous occasions. She hates my mother as well (to be fair my mom really doesn't care for cats either and has shooed her unceremoniously off the counter where we keep her food dish so our son Angus doesn't eat too much cat food). If tempestuous would be a kindly, accurate description of her, bipolar would be the unvarnished truth.

When Daisy arrived Alan initially declared her "not [his] dog" but after a few minutes he put the onus on Pepper. "If Peppi doesn't like her, the dog goes." My response was that Pepper hates everyone! Not a fair test at all. Accomplice #1 agreed with me. I told Al that Pepper would probably swat at Daisy a few times and the relationship should evolve at its own pace. He wanted me to put the puppy on the bed with Pepper (Bad Idea #1). This would have been the short path to Daisy's return to South River and I refused. Daisy had already been around cats and proved she was stable and not too interested in messing with the Clawed Ones.

Long story short: Pepper LOVES Daisy. The Cat Who Hates All has made a friend. Let's hope it lasts!

I didn't see this one coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment