Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Let the Heeling Begins... Daisy Spirals Out of Control

When I was actively training dogs, I could estimate the behavior of the family dog based on the behavior of the family's human children. It is for this reason that I have banned all dog trainers from my home for the next year! Perhaps longer.

My children are fairly rambunctious. Not surprising as I quite remember my own childhood escapades and hear often about the ones I don't recall at family gatherings (it is for this reason that I stay home on Thanksgiving- just kidding!). Our house is very loud most of the time. My own Italian heritage and Alan's Scottish roots don't exactly blend to create a smooth, calm household. Don't get me wrong! We have F-U-N! But it is a wild place to be.

Daisy has completely adapted to this environment. All too happily. My potted palm tree has been dug up several times... by Daisy AND Angus! There is barking... and laughter, high pitched and often SpongeBob-like. There are several empty wine bottles in my trash currently. Daisy is still wearing and dragging her leash for control but we need to step it up.

How DOES one rein in an unruly 14 week old puppy, you say? Heeling. Heeling. And HEELING. Most of my old clients were confused about the term Heel so permit me to define this obedience task. Heel means walk at my side (left preferably as that is a naturally submission position for lesser ranking wolves and dogs in feral pack when traveling), don't step in front of me, pay supreme attention to me and sit when I stop. Simple. You are driving the dog. You are making up the dog's mind as to where he or she is going. With persistence and patience any dog and dog handler can do this. It is a kind and gentle manner of exerting dominance without coercing or abusing the dog.

Coercive or Force[d] training is using strength and -unfortunately- pain to induce the dog to do your will. Years ago this was the most popular method of training. There is such a wealth of information on dog psychology that it really is a disservice to the whole of dog-dom to persist with such archaic means. I refer all dog people to any book by Stanly Coren, especially How to Speak Dog. I would tell my clients: Steer with the nose, steer with the eyes, steer with the brain, but DON'T steer with the neck because there are teeth nearby! I accept aggression from dogs in only two situations: females whelping or caring for a litter or pain induction. Train a dog too hard and you ARE going to get bit. Also, you are just establishing a poor, fear based relationship with your dog. No fearful dog will ever be reliable.

So, with all this in mind, Daisy has begun the next phase of her education. Be assured I have not yet prong collared her (though I do have a Mighty Max Ultra Mini Prong that I wear as a braclet at dog shows). Currently she is being baited with BilJac treats... and my back is killing me from bending over.

She, however, feels and looks great. The storm is passing. If only I could get the kids Heel!!!

More to come! Stay well and train well!

No comments:

Post a Comment