Saturday, September 12, 2009

Why not, said the semi-retired dog trainer...

I know a lot about a few things. I know a lot about all kinds of literature. I know WAY too much about the Russian Revolution and the execution of Nicholas II's family. I know a lot about baking bread. I know a lot about training dogs.

I have loved dogs and animals in general for my whole life. I've been training dogs for as long as I can remember. I became a professional, certified trainer after four years of college, much to my parent's dismay. (I did eventually impress them when they got a Westie and a King Charles I think) I have owned terriers, German Sheps, one gloriously fat and fabulous min-pin named Suzie and few Rottweilers. I currently own one super-smart 11 year old female Rottweiler named Buffy that is trained for scent work, bite work, agility, handicapped assistance and anything else a dog can be trained to do. Buff is getting on in years and is a ripe old retired bitch. I also own a disasterous American Bulldog named Lopey. Lopey is about 5 years old, 140 pounds of dopey dog and will probably live to be 25.

Having started a family a few years ago, continuing my dog training business did not seem to be a reality. When I was working full time with dogs I would put approximately a 60-80 hour work with a full time partner each week depending on how many dogs we were boarding. With kids it just didn't seem possible to dedicate myself to my clients and still be fair to my partner Joe. So Joe (the greatest business partner and most natural dog trainer EVER) went off to grad school for engineering and I closed up shop.

I made it a point to stay in touch with some of my clients. (Thank god for chain e-mails and Facebook, right?). I told the vet clinics that referred clients to the business that I would work as a consultant if they needed to refer anyone with dog issues who could not afford a traditional trainer. Out of thanks for the countless referrals, I offered this service free of charge. A few people contacted me, but not many. What I did find was that my old clients and family and friends would pitch me all sorts of good questions about why their dog would do this or what to do about that behavior. I drive my fiance Alan nuts because I could spend an hour on the phone discussing nuisance barking. As he says, I could talk the ear off a donkey.

Recently my sister Wendy got a new rescued puppy (probably pit-mix, definately cute and bright, bright, BRIGHT) and my Aunt Marilyn, Cat Maven Extrodinare, got a surprise Yorkie puppy from her husband Uncle Dave, Dog Lover Extrodinare. I ran over to meet Wendy's new dog Lilly and had a blast training her. I gave Wendy a STACK of books and told her read what she could and take what works from all the different trainers. I've been on the phone a number of times with Aunt Marilyn just to see how Charlie is adjusting and she's asked about a few of his behaviors. After giving her some protracted answers interspersed with human gossip she probably got sick of being on the phone with me and suggested the idea of a blog for me. So I said, Why not?

I always thought I was too cool to blog but since having "retired" I have only one trainer that I feel comfortable referring serious cases to. Most trainers are ego maniacs and will spend 3/4 of your lesson pitching themselves to you... every time you see them. Forgive me if I fall into this trap on the blog: it is the bane of most dog trainers but at least I'm aware of it. Most trainers stick to one "system" or school of training and claim "a dog is a dog." We have made such advances in behavior research that is truly a discredit to the dog to continue to my "will and stick" as has been done for centuries. Dog training is only as varied as people and dogs are. In other words, possibilities are limitless and it is the creative and open minded dog trainer and owner that will get the best results and develop the best cooperative partnership with their pets. Shaping behavior is a subtle, persistent action, not a bold and aggressive quest.

I hope that this blog will help people understand more about why their dog does this or that. I hope that this blog will help dog owners understand that there is more that one way to train a dog just as there is more that one way to skin a cat (Sorry for the pun, Cat Lovers and Aunt Marilyn!).

In closing this first, virgin blog, please read on with a sense of humor and an open mind. This blog will represent only one trainer's opinion and any given problem has countless solutions and methods. As the old saying goes, The only thing two dog trainers will agree upon is that the other one is wrong (wish I could credit this quote because it's genius).

Read on with humor, good sense and good training to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment