Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Pied Rottweilian Piper of Long Branch

I can't seem to shake them Rottweilers! Everywhere I go I just happen upon one and wind up talking to the owners. I know we all have our favorite breeds and I am fond of several types of dogs (all the Schnauzers, poodles, pugs, labs and GSPs to name a few) but the Rottweiler just holds a special place in my heart. Even the most casual of comments results in a protracted conversation with complete strangers.

Case in point, while taking my son for a much needed run on the Long Branch Promenade, I saw a couple walking a beautiful female adolescent. Unable to help myself, I called over, "She's lovely! I own two." While this is not entirely true as I lost my big boy Buster to bone cancer a year and a half ago, I still occasionally say I have two Rotties before thinking about it. I do miss Buster desperately as he was a fantastic dog to the end. After a few strides toward Pier Village I heard the couple calling after me. Entering in a conversation about their beautiful Bella, they explained to me that they were having issues with the year old pup with children. I laughed and sheepishly told them I am a semi-retired dog trainer. They explained that they are taking her to Philly for a behaviorist evaluation as she recently bit two people during and interaction with a child. I gave the pup the briefest of evaluations and even witnessed the owner accidentally pour water on the pup's back and head. Bella had nerves of steel, was delightful and behaved exactly as a year old Rott pup with marginal training should. I recommended they follow through with the Philly evaluation, admitted my regret that I couldn't offer my own services as a trainer as I cannot promise to be as attentive to a heavy training case as I felt they would need and referred them to a well seasoned local trainer for advanced work. Then I took a good-natured ribbing from my friend Shannon who happened by us and asked if I had taken to just pulling dogs off the street to satisfy my own training needs.


Having cut my training teeth on Rotties, I know a fair amount about negotiating life with the breed. Firstly, they don't come trained, but they do come smart (pardon the grammar here). It always (in my opinion) holds true that the smarter the dog the more creative they will be in trying to get around your human commands. In addition, the more dominant the dog the more motivated he or she will be to test your leadership. Rottweilers are what some trainers call Make Me dogs. You have to insist upon obedience and for some Rottie owners this can be a long and tiresome prospect. They are not a dog for Everyman and I have talked many a friend out of getting one. They do not respond well to coercive, heavy handed correction; they do need correction but brute force can be met with brute response (more on this in a later post). Lastly, they have a prolonged puppyhood and "act up" sometimes into the third of fourth year.

A Rottie owner must contend not only with the iron will and physical strength of the dog but also the crummy reputation this breed has received. Poor breeding and less than responsible ownership are the primary reasons this breed has taken on such a nasty and frightening veneer. As a trainer, when educated "dangerous" breed owners I have stressed -to the point of annoying my clients- that supreme owner responsibility is critical. Physical fencing, electric fencing and serious, dedicated training are mandatory. Every safeguard must be put in place as any negative event will be blamed on your large breed, dangerous animal. Even if the toy poodle started it!

Despite all the flack this breed has taken, I just can't help but love them Rotties. Bella, I am hopeful, will be fine with more training from her owners and safe exposure to children that shows her precisely what behaviors will and will not be accepted. Few dogs are rotten beyond repair. Rottweilers in particular are just demanding of their owners and need to have firm leadership and guidance. In return, Rottie owners will have a dedicated canine companion willing to jump through flaming hoops or take a bullet for their families.

As for me, I will continue to blurt out praise for good looking and well behaved Rottweilers. Perhaps some of you will see me, leading a pack of majestic black and tan dogs toward West End and, hopefully, breed redemption. Until then, good day and good training to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment